Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Zombies in Springtime -- Chapter 7 -- Missing

"Dammit! Dammit! God Dammit! Gahhh!!"

Sephera woke up to the sound of her twin brother cursing and stomping around upstairs. She walked upstairs to see what the problem was.

Knock. Knock.

"What? Who's there?"

"Leo - it's me. Let me in."

The door cracked open and Sephera stepped in.

Standing in the middle of the room was Leopold Campbell. Her twin brother -looking worse for the wear: tattered jeans, dirty shirt covered in drool, messy hair, and what's that...9 fingers? Sephera's mouth dropped.

"I don't know what happened Seph. I was exhausted after school yesterday. I came home and crashed. Woke up this morning and my damn finger is gone."

"I don't see how you could have just not noticed that your finger was missing Leo.."

"Well - it's dead isn't it? I wouldn't have felt it fall off."

"Right - but it's not every day one of our appendages just falls off. You get into a sword fight and not remember? How are you going to explain this at school? What if someone has your finger!? You've got to start paying attention. We can't risk blowing our cover...I don't want to move again bubba."

"...I'll find it. In the meantime I'll bandage my hand to hide the missing
finger - come up with some excuse...bit by a dog maybe?"

Sephera scoffed. "Bit by a dog?" She folded her arms in disapproval. "That'll have to do. For now." "By the way Leo, I need to talk to you about Duane."

Duane was wrapping his hand with a bandage he pulled out from the bottom drawer of his dresser. "Tell me in the car. We're late for school." Leo picked up a blue backpack with his good hand and threw it at his sister with a wink. "Load up the car. You're driving."

The twins went downstairs, fumbled into Leo's car and coasted down the driveway. Sephera opened her mouth and began to speak, "About Dua-"

"Let me stop you right there sis. Before you say anything you're gonna
regret...think about who's side you're on." With that, Leo pulled out a
cigarette, lit it off his bandage, blew a puff a smoke into Sephera's face, and turned on the radio.

"...Michelle LaCantour reporting from KZMB Spoon County issuing a breaking news report. Sheriff Winston Marley has been reported missing. He is described as a middle-aged, black male, average height and build. Last seen leaving the Sheriff's office last night around 9pm wearing his streets: jeans, a green t-shirt, and brown boots. Anyone with information is asked to call-" Click. Leo switched the station.

"One less person we have to worry about sis. That's all you need to know. One
less."

"Roxanne!" Sting's voice screeched on the radio. "Put on the red light! Put on
the red light!"

Sephera slunk down in her seat. She put on the brake... "Get out" she said
dryly.

"Sis, look..."

"Get out now Leo! I'm not joking."

Leo laughed. He opened the door, put one leg out, then the other. He stood
outside the car and looked back inside, grabbing the side of the door panel.
"You made your point. D'ya feel good? Can I get back in?"

Sephera stared him down.

"I don't think you realize what you're doing Seph."

Sephera reached over and slammed the door shut from the inside. Leo watched as his brown Studebaker rolled on down the road without him. He stomped his cigarette out on the pavement. "Can't even give her the double deuce...stupid finger." He put his bandaged hand in his coat pocket.

Sephera fought off tears as she watched the figure of her twin brother disappear from her rearview mirror. 

No comments:

Post a Comment